Octopus stew (stifado)
1 ½ kilo octopus
1 kilo pearl onions
2 cloves of garlic
400 gr canned tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 ½ tablespoons extra olive oil
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
50 gr red wine
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon allspice berries
1 tablespoon thyme
- Clean the octopus and cut it into pieces.
- Cut the garlic.
- Place a large pot over high heat and add the extra olive oil.
- Add the onions and sugar into the pot, and sauté for 5 minutes until they caramelize.
- Add the octopus, garlic, tomato paste and sauté.
- Deglaze with the red wine. As it evaporates, add the canned tomatoes, allspice berries, bay leaves and thyme. Mix.
- Lower the heat to medium and boil for 1-1 ½ hour.
Serve with extra olive oil, pepper, rosemary, thyme.
Combine with rice or