by Greco Roots
Stuffed peppers and tomatoes (Granny's recipe)- Gemista
6 green bell peppers
1 red Florina pepper
15 tablespoons medium grain rice
1 glove of garlic
1 cup of water
2 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
2/3 cup of olive oil
- Wash vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Fan.
- Cut the top of all peppers, about 1 cm below the stem, and remove all of the seeds.
- With a spoon, carefully scoop out the flesh of the tomatoes, and put it into a bowl. Chop any big pieces.
- Peel the carrot and grate with a cheese grater, using the large blades.
- Finely chop the red Florina pepper.
- Season the green bell peppers and tomatoes with salt and pepper and drizzle them with 6 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Finely chop the onions, the garlic, the dill, and the parsley.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Sauté the onions and the garlic for 2-3 minutes until they soften. Then put the rice and the red Florina pepper for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomato flesh so to deglaze the pot.
- Stir with a serving spoon and add the water, carrot, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes until the rice softens and absorbs the water.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the dill and parsley.
- Mix the stuffing with a spoon and divide it among the peppers and tomatoes. Fill only 3/4 of the peppers and tomatoes.
- "Close" the peppers and tomatoes with their "lids".
- Put the stuffed vegetables in a baking pan one next to another.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes until they are nicely golden.
Serve with feta cheese and bread slices.